Wednesday 29 July 2015

Supposing I choose to do my decking with wood as against concrete?

This is a thought provoking question, and I am sure there are alternatives to almost everything made by God in this world. But when it comes to Nigerian architecture, we are almost boxed in by the conventional approach that it will seem that its the only way. I am sure you can build a wooden decking, I am certain because I have walked on a wooden deck built by the colonialists in Enugu back in the days. If you want to pioneer this in the modern day Nigerian scenario, you will have to form a thick skin, refuse to listen to the conventional advice and go all out to seek an alternative to concrete decking. Just remember there will be a lot of obstacles on your way, and the cost comparative to concrete decking? It needs to be seen how much you can save cheesy cheesy But the major problem I see in this is the sustainability of timber supply if more people wants to tow your line, how much more can our timber reserves be cut down to meet this new demand? Now, metals as another alternative? I am sure there are metal form works that can replace the use of concrete, but how cheap are they going to be. You may cut a metal import container and it may work, but I am afraid of the increased risk of electric shocks if there is a broken cable. You will have to spend good money on insulation of all cables. I have seen houses built with containers before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cost of a set of chairs in Enugu 2024

If you are looking to furnish your home, follow us as we bring you the current cost of well built furniture and home equipment as at now. We...